Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Regardless of who you are, where you live, and what you like to eat, I am sure almost everyone has had at least one grilled cheese sandwich in their life. A grilled cheese is perfect for any time of the day: either at a Sunday brunch, as a late night snack, or even as a breakfast meal. Although it is just simply melted cheese between two slices of bread, the variety of GC sandwiches is endless, especially in Los Angeles. You can find it all, from the traditional sandwich (Kraft Singles, white bread, and butter) to a complex sandwich, made with the highest quality cheeses and breads. Through trial and error, I have found delicious grilled cheese sandwiches across the city, all worth a try. 

FIG, located at the corner of Ocean Ave and Wilshire Blvd inside the Fairmont Miramar Hotel, definitely offers a rather elaborate grilled cheese sandwich, fit to satisfy a gastronomics craving. Between two slices of their fresh sourdough bread lies a melted combination of sweet and salty Gruyere and Buffalo Mozzarella cheese, finished with a thin layer of tomato jam for extra flavor. Along with the side option of fries or arugula salad, the rich Roasted Tomato Soup is a must to top off the sandwich. Due to the fact that it’s an improved version of the traditional GC sandwich, the meal is rather pricey (around $30). However, I believe that it is a must-try for a GC fanatic!
(101 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401)


The Beverly Glen Deli, found inside the Glen Center in Bel Air, is a traditional family owned delicatessen. Of course, they prepare the traditional style grilled cheese to perfection. You can customize the simple sandwich by choosing from the choice of bread and cheeses (I recommend the sourdough with American cheese.) The sandwich is perfectly filled with gooey, warm cheese, looking like it came straight out of a commercial. An order of their grilled cheese with a side is around $15.  (2926 Beverly Glen Circle, Los Angeles, CA 90077)


Lenny’s Deli is a modernized version of a NY deli, however, it does not fail to serve classic and delicious NY deli style food. There is only one grilled cheese option on their menu; white bread fried on a pan with Kraft Singles inside. Although the sandwich includes nothing extra, it perfectly fits the definition of an old school grilled cheese sandwich. Another plus is the price; only $5 with a side of fries! (2379 Westwood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064)


Less than a five-minute walk from Lenny’s Deli, you can find the famous Apple Pan, located directly across the Westside Pavilion Mall. Regardless of the fact that they are known for their burgers, Apple Pan’s grilled cheese is definitely a hit. Their grilled cheese is not on the menu, but will be made upon request. You can choose from Swiss or Cheddar cheese on white, wheat, or rye bread. I recommend ordering both Swiss and Cheddar cheese on white bread with lettuce inside. Their trick to preparing a unique sandwich is using mayonnaise instead of butter, making the bread extra crispy. Apple Pan is famous for offering fresh, great quality food for low prices with their grilled cheese at only $4. (10801 West Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064)

                                                   (www. laweekly.com)

With so many restaurants in Los Angeles, the amount of grilled cheese sandwiches is unlimited. Therefore, I am always looking for new restaurants offering a twist on the classic. Make sure to check out these places, and check back on Adventurous Angels for an updated list. Thanks for reading!

- Shirelle

*All pictures are my own unless otherwise noted*

10 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering after reading this post! Your descriptions are perfectly detailed, luring me in to these restaurants. Which grilled cheese sandwich is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so hungry after reading about the grilled cheese and looking at all these pictures. Your descriptive words have made my mouth water. I can not wait to go to try that sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how descriptive you were about each grilled cheese! I also like how you included you're own personal opinion about each grilled cheese which made the post more personal! I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your descriptions are beautifully written. This is making me want to go order all these GC right now

    ReplyDelete
  5. This food looks amazing, I would eat the first one. Which one is your favorite? I'm going to go to these places for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I will be sure to try these soon. Love the pictures and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I will be sure to try these soon. Love the pictures and descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All i'm craving after reading this amazing post is grilled cheese! What is your own personal favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow i am lactose intolerant and you are making me want to go order this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OGM!!!!!! So yummy, we should go together once

    ReplyDelete

 

About Shirelle Rabikashi + This Blog

Hello! I'm Shirelle Rabikashi. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, one of the world’s most touristic cities. This iconic city is known for a countless amount of things: weather, beaches, shopping, restaurants, celebrities, etc. Having spent my whole life in LA, I've had countless opportunities to experience the wide variety of adventures this city has to offer, and to discover the hidden treasures that are not often spoken of. Through my blog, Adventurous Angels, I aim to share my perspective of Los Angeles so others can value the greatness of this city. This blog is intended to help both LA natives and newcomers by being a guide to the numerous gems scattered across this city. Since this city is immense, it's easy to become overwhelmed not know what to do or where to go. I will go in depth into the culinary, the retail, and the landmarks in different areas and provide my personal suggestions so that no one feels lost. I will cover all of it; the well-known areas such as Beverly Hills and Hollywood, as well as the "native" areas such as Silverlake and Culver City. I hope to inspire anyone with the opportunity to be in LA to experience it in the best way possible and to not waste a minute in this magical city. (Dr. Morgan, English 11, Blog Assignment)